Tommy Evans is a songwriter, composer and drummer based in East London. He studied jazz at the Leeds College of Music under Bhupinder Chagger Singh, Graham Hearn, Matthew Bourne and Mark Donlon, majoring in performance and composition.
Since graduating he has won the BASCA British Composer Award 2011 for ‘Jazz Composition’, Jazz Services ‘Promoters Choice’ award 2008, the PRS ‘New Works’ award 2010 and the Jazz Yorkshire ‘Band of the Year’ award 2010. He has been shortlisted for many other awards including PRS ‘Music Creators in Residence’ (China) award, the Jazz Yorkshire ‘Composer of the Year’ award 2010, the Take5 Scheme, the London Jazz Award 2011 and the Derry European Capital of Culture ‘Artist In Residence’. He has toured professionally with various ensembles across Europe and has played all the major UK festivals and venues.
Tommy has received international acclaim for his work with groundbreaking dubstep group Submotion Orchestra for whom he composes and plays drums. Submotion’s second LP ‘Fragments’ made it to number 1 in the UK Electronic iTunes for 2 weeks in October 2011. He also composes and plays drums for high profile dub act Gentleman’s Dub Club, writes and conducts for his own 14-piece orchestra and plays drums for multi-award winning jazz sextet IDST.
He has been commissioned to write music by various festivals including Marsden Jazz Festival, Scarborough Jazz Festival, Fuse Festival, Soundwave Festival (Croatia), LIMA Festival, Outlook Festival (Croatia) and Vossa Jazz (Norway). He has also had writing commissions from dance companies including the English National Ballet, Rambert Dance Company and Hikone Dance Intensive (Japan). He has received funding from the Arts Council, Jazz Yorkshire, PRSF and Jazz Services and has had his music featured and exclusively played on BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 6 and 1Xtra, gaining support and recognition from many DJ’s including Jez Nelson, Kevin Le Gendre, Gilles Peterson, Trevor Nelson, Jo Whiley, Jamie Cullum and MistaJam.
In 2013 Tommy will be the musical director of a collaborative project between Submotion Orchestra and the English National Ballet, writing the third Submotion album, working on a private commission for a large-scale jazz suite and writing music for Rambert Dance Company.
- Winner of the JazzYorkshire ‘Big Band Of The Year’ Award
- Shortlisted to be the Derry European Capital of Culture ‘Artist in Residence’
- Winner of the British Academy of Songwriting and Composers Award for ‘Contemporary Jazz Composition’ 2011
- Shortlisted for The London Jazz Award 2011.
- Shortlisted for The Performing Rights Society ‘Music Creators in Residence’ (China) Award 2011
- Receiver of The Performing Rights Society ‘New Works’ award 2010
- Winner of the Jazz Yorkshire ‘Band of the Year’ award 2010 (with IDST)
- Shortlisted for The Jazz Yorkshire ‘Composer of the Year’ award 2010
- Winner of the Jazz Services ‘Promoters Choice’ award 2008 (with IDST)
“Evans has a bit of himself in more pies than he has fingers!” – Adam Tait, London Jazz 2011.